英 语 试 题
1. As the going says, “Where there is a will, there is ______ way.”
A. 不填 B. the C. a D. an
2. Nelson Mandela was born ______ July 18, 1918.
A. for B. on C.at D. in
3. David showed me around the town, ______ twas very kind of him.
A. what B. whom C. that D. which
4. —Are you coming to the party this evening?
—I’m not sure. My aunt ______ come to see me.
A. shall B. must C. may D. need
5. I hear you ______ for Beijing next week. Have you got everything ready?
A. have left B. left C. are leaving D. were leaving
6. ______ I have found somewhere to live, I will send you my address.
A. Where B. When C. So that D. Even if
7. The park, _______ last year, is very popular among the people in this community.
A. opened B. opening C. to open D. being opened
8. Hold fast to your dream and _____ you’ll realize it.
A. typically B. obviously C. particularly D. eventually
9. —Which sport would you like to play at the moment, football or basketball?
—______. I just want to play pingpong now.
A. None B. Both C. Either D. Neither
10. —I’m afraid I will fail my driving test again tomorrow.
—______ ! I’m sure you can make it!
A. Cheer up B. Good luck C. Have fun D. Of course
When I was a boy we had several gardens around our old house. The largest one of all was used just for 11 potatoes.
I can still remember those 12 planting days. The whole family helped. After my Dad had prepared the soil, it was my 13 to drop the little seed potatoes in the rows 14 my Mom dropped fertilizer (化肥) beside them. My brothers then covered them all with earth.
For months I would keep looking at the 15 while I played outside, wondering what was going on below the ground. When the harvest time came, I was 16 at the huge size of the potatoes we pulled out of the soil. Those little plants had been 17 such big potatoes — the food of energy for my whole 18 all through the year. It truly was a miracle (奇迹) to see.
Whenever I think back on those special times now, I wonder how many other seeds I have 19 in this life that have grown unseen in the 20 of others. How many times has God used something little that I said or did to grow something 21 , something to provide another’s heart with power?
We may never 22 the growth that comes from the kind words or loving acts that we 23 , but God sees it all. I hope that we always 24 the garden around us , planting only 25 and peace in the lives of everyone we meet. I hope that every day we help miracles to grow.
11. A. selling B. growing C. cooking D. cutting
12. A. tomato B. tree C. potato D. flower
13. A. job B. mistake C. game D. power
14. A. though B. whether C. unless D. while
15. A. garden B. house C. gate D. river
16. A. terrified B. amazed C. sad D. angry
17. A. turned into B. turned up C. turned on D. turned off
18. A. country B. city C. land D. family
19. A. bought B. made C. planted D. invented
20. A. parks B. rooms C. schools D. hearts
21. A. hopeless B. expensive C. beautiful D. painful
22. A. get B. see C. smell D. taste
23. A. share B. say C. refuse D. remember
24. A. think little of B. take care of C. look forward to D. live up to
25. A. determination B. satisfaction C. goodness D. gratefulness
A man had seven sons, who were always quarreling with each other. Some bad men were looking forward to the death of their father, to trick out of their money by making them quarrel about it.
One day, their father, the good old man, called his sons around him. He laid before them seven sticks, which were tied together. He said, “ I will pay a hundred dollars to the one who can break them.”
Each one tried their best to break the sticks. After a long try, they all said that it could not be done.
“And yet, my boys,” said the father. “Nothing is easier to do.” He then untied the sticks. and broke them one by one.
“Ah!” said his sons. “It is easy enough to do it so; anybody could do it in that way.”
Their father replied, “ As it is with these sticks, so it is with you, my sons. So long as you stay together and help each other, you will be prosperous (兴旺的) , and none can hurt you. But if the link of union is broken, it will happen to you just as it has to these sticks, which lie here broken on the ground.”
Home, city, country, all are found prosperous by the powerful link of union.
26. Some bad men were looking forward the death of the father because they ______.
A. wanted to kill his sons
B. wanted to get the seven sticks
C. had been forced out of their homes
D. wanted to trick his sons out of their money
27. According to the old man, the son who could break the seven sticks tied together would get ______.
A. $10 B. $100 C. $1,000 D. $10,000
28. Why did the old father ask his sons to break the sticks?
A. Because he wasn’t fond of the sticks.
B. Because the sticks would hurt his sons.
C. Because he wanted to teach them a lesson.
D. Because some bad men asked him to do so.
29. What can be learned from the story?
A. Like father, like son.
B. It takes two to make a quarrel.
C. Things united become stronger.
D. It is easier to get money than to keep it.
What if someone told you about a kind of grass as tall as the tallest trees? A grass as strong as steel? Would you believe that person? You should, for that grass is bamboo, the “wood” of 1,001 uses. It is not just a material for making useful products. Young bamboo is eaten, often mixed with other vegetables.
Bamboo grows in many parts of the word. In the US it grows in many states like Virginia and Florida. Most bamboo, however, is found in warm, wet climates, especially in Asia and on the islands of the South Pacific Ocean.
In most Asian countries, bamboo is nearly as important as rice. Many Asians live in bamboo houses. They sit on bamboo chairs, fence their land with bamboo and use it to cage their chickens and pigs. This unusual material is used not only to build large buildings but also tomake water pipes, musical instruments and paper.
Bamboo is light, strong and bends without breaking. Bamboo is cheap, floats on water and almost never wears out. Nothing else on earth grows quite so fast as bamboo. At times you can even see it grow! Scientists have recorded growths of more than three feet in just 24 hours!
There are over 1,000 kinds of bamboo. The shortest is only about three inches while the tallest is more than 200 feet. No wonder, then, the lives of nearly half the people on earth would change greatly if there ere no longer any bamboo.
30. According to the passage, bamboo is actually a kind of ________.
A. grass B. steel C. tree D. vegetable
31. According to this passage, bamboo grows ______.
A. only in Asia B. only in the USA
C. in wet, warm climates D. all over the world
32. What is talked about in paragraph 3?
A. When to grow bamboo.
B. Where to plant bamboo.
C. What use to make of bamboo.
D. What food to prepare with bamboo.
33. It can be learned from the passage that ______.
A. there are only 1,000 kinds of bamboo
B. bamboo is the world’s fastest growing plant
C. bamboo is light and easy to break
D. half of the world’s population live on bamboo
Looking back on the first twenty years of my life, I feel grateful to have been so healthy and happy. For my happiness, I am grateful to so many people and lucky events, but what have guided me and supported me in my life are my physical health, healthy finances(财力), and my family’s happiness.
Health comes first for me, because without health everything else is meaningless. Imagine starting a career without good health.Imagine starting a family without good health. Imagine achieving anything without good health. Clearly, good health is the first necessary for other part of one’s life.
Good health is not enough to be happy. We still need to have money in today’s society. Money obviously pays for basic needs of life — food, housing, clothing —but it is also necessary for other reason like the quality of our education and medical care.
Next comes the most important thing in having a happy life—our family. It provides the love, joy and support that everybody needs. I love my family with all my heart. I get pleasure from their pleasure. I suffer when they suffer. My family helped me get through the hard times of entrance exams. They comforted and advised me when I had misunderstanding with my friends. More importantly, they have been there to share in my successes in the past twenty years.
In summary (总结), all these are what I need and want in this world. As long as I stay healthy, earn enough money, and share both good times and bad times with my family, I will always be the happiest girl in the world.
34. This passage is most likely to be found in the ______ part of a newspaper.
A. OPINIONS B. SPORTS C. BUSINESS D. ADVERTISEMENT
35. The writer mentions her entrance exams in paragraph 4 in order to prove that _______.
A. opportunities go to those with strong beliefs
B. our quality of life can be improved with money
C. nothing can be achieved without a healthy body
D. family provides the support that everybody needs
36. What is the main purpose of this passage?
A. To argue about the importance of money.
B. To explain what are the keys to happiness.
C. To discuss ways of dealing with difficulties.
D. To show people’s different attitudes to happiness.
37. How is the passage organized?
38. Lucy: I decide to stay somewhere reading books.
39. Jack: I would love to watch some Broadway shows.
40. Grace: I will enjoy a walk in the park with my children.
41. Henry: I want to feel the beauty of the Brooklyn Bridge at night.
Take a rest away from the busy city center by visiting Central Park — over 800 acres of parkland right in the middle of Manhattan. Wonderful for children.
• free walking hours and sports programs
• musical performances and plays
Address: Manhattan, between 5th Ave and Central Park W
Opening hours: 06:00 to 01:00
Enjoy a book or two in this beautiful world-famous library — New York Public Library, built in 1911.
• the amazing 3rd-floor reading room
• free guided tours and exhibitions
Address: Fifth Ave at 42nd St
Opening hours:11:00 to 18:00 Mon, to 19:30 Tue and Wed;10:00 to 18:00 Thu-Sat; 13:00 to 17:00 Sun
Walk across this landmark bridge — Brooklyn Bridge, which links Manhattan to Brooklyn.
• the amazing views of Manhattan
• the way the bridge is lit up at night
Address:On Manhattan side, entrance at Park Row and Centre street.
Join the 26th million people who visit Times Square each year!
• the famous Broadway performances nearby
• the atmosphere of this area by night
Address: 40th St S, 53rd St N, 9th Ave W, 6thAve E
四、单词拼写 (本大题共8小题，每小题1分，共8分。 根据下列句子及所给的单词首字母，写出各单词的完全形式，每空白处限填一词)
42. — Happy New Year!
—The s_________ to you.Rose!
43. The International Women’s Day falls on M_____________ 8th.
44. I was l______________ for school today because I missed the early bus.
45. T_____________ to Yuan Longping’s research, the UN has more tools in the battle against hunger.
46. The river has been heavily p_______________ with waste from local factories.
47. Tom visits his parents t___________ a week—every Tuesday and Thursday.
48. I don’t really want to go out because I’m tired. B____________, it’s raining now.
49. A v___________ is a machine usually with wheels such as a car, a bus, or a truck, which is used for
transporting people or goods on land, particularly on roads.
50. 某英语报纸正举行“我的选修课程(elective course)体验”主题征文活动。请你根据以下提纲，用英语写一篇短文，准备投稿。
• An elective course you have attended this term and why you chose it
• One of the unforgettable experiences with this course
• What you have learned from this experience
One of the elective course I have attended this term is
1. C 2. B 3.D 4. C 5. C
6. B 7. A 8. D 9. D 10. A
11. B 12. C 13. A 14. D 15. A
16. B 17. A 18. D 19. C 20. D
21. D 22. B 23. A 24. B 25. C
26. D 27. B 28. C 29. C 30. A
31. C 32. C 33. B 34. A 35. D
36. B 37. A 38. B 39. D 40. A
42. same 43. March 44. late 45. Thanks
46. polluted 47. twice 48. Besides 49. vehicle
50. One possible student version:
One of the elective courses I have attended this term is “Appreciating Songs in English.” I chose this course because I am really fond of English and I just love singing!
In one of the classes, we discussed the American song “Country Roads, Take Me Home” sung by John Denver. When we were asked to share our opinions, I was surprised at the rich culture behind the wonderful music. It is a song about the real life of ordinary American people.
I am still quite excited about taking this course, because it is a time for me to learn and act aswell as to enrich myself. (95 words)