Unit 5 Giving Thanks
25. He wrote them on a ship on the way to the island of Tulagi in the South Pacific on
Thanksgiving Day, 1943.
26. Preparing a traditional Thanksgiving dinner featuring roast turkey made the writer extremely
27. The writer was thinking about Thanksgiving.
28. He decided to write letters to show gratitude to those who had helped him in his life.
29. He had always accepted what they had done for him, but never expressed to any of them a
simple “Thank you.”
30. He decided to write to his father, his grandmother, and the Rev. Lonual Nelson, his grammar
31. His father had impressed upon him from boyhood a love of books and reading.
32. He remembered that each morning Nelson would open the school with a prayer over his
33. He recalled how his grandmother had taught him to tell the truth, to share, and to be forgiving
and considerate of others. And he thanked her for her delicious food and for all the wonderful things she had done for him.
34. His reading of their letters left him not only astonished but also more humbled than before,
because they all thanked him rather than saying they would forgive him for not having previously thanked them.
35. The writer learned that one should learn to express appreciation for others’ efforts.
36. The writer wished for all people the common sense to achieve world peace, and find the good
Language Sense Enhancement
I. 1) decades 2) undergoing
3) had done wrong 4) welcome reassurance
5) appreciated 6) brought back 7) relatives 8) accomplish 9) consume 10) representing
Vocabulary 1. 1) sprinkled
3) reversed 5) at sea 7) statement 9) in secret 11) weep
2) in turn 4) repay
6) traditional 8) longed for 10) unloaded 12) under way
2. 1) stretch out
3) hope for 5) put away 7) got to
2) make out
4) turns (it) over 6) brings back 8) go about
1, fond of
3. thoughtful of
5. conscious of
7. guilty of
■2. sick of 4. confident of 6. critical of 8.ashamed of
Comprehensive Exercises To know what people really think, pay regard to what they do, rather than what they say. It is cooperation, rather than conflict, that will enable you to achieve your success. Ann made students think for themselves rather than telling them what to think. I think I'll stay at home this evening rather than go / going out. Most people are content to let perfect days happen at random rather than plan / planning for them.
I. Cloze (A)
1) at sea 2) Turning over
3) reverse 4) got to
5) repay 6) gratitude
7) assembled 8) immersed
9) unloading 10) swift
1) Instead 2) possessions
3) richer 4) breath
5) cherish 6) special
7) specific 8) shining
9) miracles 10) gift