Unit One Changes in the Way We Live
Content Questions ( P10 )
1.Write and live on a farm.
2.Because they grow nearly all of their fruits and vegetables. They have enough eggs, honey and wood. They are very close to nature and can enjoy the beautiful scenery. Besides, they can go skiing and skating in winter.
3.No. Sometimes the good life can get pretty tough.
4.They were buried under five feet of snow from December through March.
5.When the first spring came, it brought two floods. The second flood refers to the good harvest in the growing season.
6.He decided to quit his job and start to freelance.
7.He has to crawl into black bear dens for “Sports Illustrated”, hitch up dogsled racing teams for “Smithsonian” magazine, check out the Lake Champlain “monster” for “Science Digest”, and canoe through the Boundary Waters Wilderness area of Minnesota for “Destinations”.
8.As for insurance, they have only bought a poor man’s major-medical policy and the policy on their two cars.
9.They cut back their expenses without appreciably lowering their standard of living. For example, they patronize local restaurants instead of more expensive places in the city. They still attend the opera and ballet but only a few times a year. They eat less meat, drink cheaper wine and see fewer movies.
10.A tolerance for solitude and lots of energy.
11.They will leave with a feeling of sorrow but also with a sense of pride at what they have been able to accomplish.
12.They chose to live in the country because they want to improve the quality of their lives. Yes, they have finally realized their dreams.
Text Organization ( P11 )
Part One (paragraphs 1—3) The writer views his life in the country as a self-reliant and satisfying one.
Part Two (paragraphs 4—7 ) Life in the country is good yet sometimes very hard.
Part Three (paragraphs 8—11) After quitting his job, the writer’s income was reduced, but he and his family were able to manage to get by.
Part Four (paragraphs 12—15 ) A tolerance for solitude and a lot of energy have made it possible for the family to enjoy their life in the country.
Happy Moments and Events
1) growing nearly all their fruits and vegetables
2) canoeing, picnicking, long bicycle rides, etc.
3) keeping warm inside the house in winter
4) writing freelance articles
5) earning enough money while maintaining a happy family life
1) working hard both in winter and in summer
2) harsh environment and weather condition
3) anxious moments after the writer quit his job
4) cutting back on daily expenses
1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases given in the box. ( P15 )
1) on balance 2) resist 3) haul 4) wicked
5) illustrated 6) budget 7) lowering 8) boundary
9) involved 10)economic 11) blasting 12) just about
2. Now use the verb in brackets to form an appropriate phrasal verb you have learned and complete the sentence with it. ( P16 )
1) cut back / down 2)pick up
3)get by 4) get through
5)face up to 6)turn in
7)making up for 8)think up
3. Rewrite each sentence with the word or phrase in brackets, keeping the same meaning. (P17 )
1) pursued his mathematical studies and taught himself astronomy.
2) often generate misleading thoughts.
3) attach great importance to combining theory with practice in our work.
4) be suspected of doing everything for money.
5) before he gets through life.
4. Complete the sentences, using the words or phrases in brackets ( P17 )
1. their indoor a profit to invest in
2. device the improvement on a global scale
3. stacked temptation never dined out
Confusable Use ( P18 )
Word Formation ( P19 )
1) rise 2) final 3) regular 4) cash 5) hows and whys
6) upped 7) yellowed 8) bottled 9) lower 10) search
1. Text-related ( P20 )
1) gets by 2) temptation 3) get through
4) improvement 5) aside from 6) suspect
7) supplement 8) profit 9) stacking
2. Theme-related ( P21 )
1) replaced 2) consider 3) quit
4) world 5) tough 6) fuels
7) provide 8) luxuries 9) balance
1. Translate the sentences into English ( P21 )
1) We have a problem with the computer system, but I think it is fairly minor.
2) My father died when I was too young to live on my own. The people of my hometown took over responsibility for my upbringing at that point.
3) the toys have to meet strict safety requirements before they can be sold to children.
4) Radio and television have supplemented rather than replaced the newspaper as carriers of new and opinion.
5) When it comes to this magazine, it is a digest of articles from many newspapers and magazines around the world.
2. Translate the passage into English ( P21 )
A decade ago,Nancydid what so many Americans dream about. She quit an executive position and opened a household device store in her neighborhood. People likeNancymade the decision primarily for the improvement in the quality of their lives.
But, to run a business on a small scale is by no means an easy job. Without her steady income,Nancyhad to cut back on her daily expenses. Sometimes she did not even have the money to pay the premiums for the various kinds of insurance she needed.
Fortunately, through her own hard work, she has now got through the most difficult time. She is determined to continue pursuing her vision of a better life.
1. Choose the best answer for each of the following. ( P27 )
1—6. a c d b a c
Translate into Chinese the underlined sentences in the essay ( P28 )
Match the definitions in Column B with the words and phrases in Column A. ( P28 )
1) g 2) f 3) e 4) d
5) b 6) h 7) a 8) c
Fill in the gaps with words or phrases chosen from the box. ( P29 )
1) roast 2) cable 3) at one time
4) get along 5) missed out on 6) commute
7) taken over 8) make sense 9) go with
10) dizzy 11) gasped 12) networks