1. ----- will you be able to finish the job this week?
----- ___________ , but I'm not skilled enough, you know.
A.I can't say so B.I expect so C. I'm sure so D. I don't know so
2. We arrived at the station _______ late, or we the bus.
A. too much; would catch B. a little too; had caught
C. much too; would have caught D. too much; would have caught
3. Is it the watch you want ________?
A. to have it repaired B. to repair it
C. to have repaired D. to have repaired it
4. The two thieves fled the town separately, _______ a bag.
A. each carrying B. whose that watch is C. whose watch is that D. whose watch is
5. The little boy can't tell ________.
A. whose is that watch B. whose that watch is
C. whose watch is that D. whose watch is
6. If a baby bird stays _______ for two or three weeks after leaving the nest, it has a fair chance of becoming an adult.
A. living B. lively C. alive D. live
7. We will not attack ______ we are attacked; if attacked,we will certainly counter-attack.
A. if B. when C. unless D. even if
8. You can take ______ seat you like.
A. no matter what B. no matter which C. what D. whichever
9. I ______ to speak to you all these days.
A. wanted B. have wanted C. shall want D. shall be wanting
10.A burning cigarette he threw into the wastepaper basket ______ fire to the hotel.
A. made B. set C. caused D. caught
11."Do you hear someone knocking at the door?"
"Yes, I did. I heard him ______ three times."
A. knocking B. knocked C. being knocking D. knock
12.Peter, John and Tom each ______.
A. say they came first B. says they came first C. says he came first D. say came first
13.Through long power lines electricity goes ______.
A. to the place needed B. there it is needed C. where it is needed D. which it is needed
14. ______ from the apple tree.
A. It down fell B. there it is needed C. Down fell it D. Fell it down
15.The service in this restaurant is very poor; there are not enough waiters to wait ______ customers.
A. on B. for C. with D. to
Linda was a few minutes late. Wilson 16 the office when she got there. His secretary told her he 17 back in a few minutes. She 18 sit down and wait for a few minutes in outer office.
"I'll never get this job," she 19 herself. For a moment she wanted to 20 the building. Just then, Wilson came 21 the door and hurried into his office. A few minutes 22 his secretary took Linda in and introduced her,
Linda apologized 23 . Wilson didn't seem to 24 .They chatted casually (随便地) for a few seconds and then 25 . He 26 her letter of application.
"You've never worked in radio or television before, 27 ? "he said. Now she was 28 that she would not get the job. Wilson asked her 29 questions.
30 he seemed impressed with her other qualifications(资格).She was 31 when he asked her if she could start soon. "I wonder if you'd mind 32 next month?" he asked 33 .
34 seemed she had got the job 35 .
16. A. had left B. has left C. was left D. would be leaving
17. A. had been B. came C. was D. would be
18. A. should B. had to C. would D. was able to
19. A. told B. spoke C. said D. talked
20. A. run out B run of C. run out of D. run away
21. A. through B. across C. cross D. along
22. A. latest B. last C. late D. later
23. A. to being late B. for being late C. to be late D. for the late
24. A. mind B. listen C. notice D. hear
25. A. took down with business B. came down to business C. settled down with business D. got down to business
26. filled out B. took out C. sent out D. threw away
27. A. haven't you B. do you C. have you D. don't you
28. A. even more sure B. much sure C. even sure of D. sure of
29. A. a few such B. a few more C. much a few D. more a few
30. A. As her surprise B. To her surprised C. For her surprised D. To her surprise
31. A. even more surprise B. even much surprise C. even more surprised D. even much surprised
32. A. starting B. to start C. start D. started
33. A. by a smile B. with a smile C. by smile D. with smile
34. A. It B. This C. That D. He
35. A. not at all B. after all C. all D. after that
In the traditional(传统的)marriage, the man worked at a job to earn money for the family , Most men worked in an office , a factory, or some other place away from the home .Since the man earned the money , he paid the bills(帐).The money was used for food , clothes , the house , and other family needs , The man made most of the decisions , He was the boss.
In the traditional marriage, the woman seldom worked away from the house. she stayed at home to care for the children and her husband, She cooked meals, cleaned the house , washed the clothes , and did other housework , Her job at home was very important.
In recent years , many couples(夫妇)continue to have a traditional relationship of the kind . The man has a job and earns the money for the family . The woman stays at home and cares for the children and the house .Many Americans are happy with the kind of marriage .But some other Americans have a different impression of marriage and family responsibilities(责任).
There are two important differences in male(男性)and female (女性)roles(角色)now. One is that both men and women have many more choices .They may choose to marry or to stay single .They may choose to work or stay at home .Both men and women may choose roles that are comfortable for them.
A second difference in male and female roles is that within marriage many decisions and responsibilities are shared .The husband and wife may choose to have children, or they may not .If they have children, the man take care of them some of the time , all of the time or not at all .The woman may want to stay at home and take care of the children .Or she may want to go to work .Men and women now decide these things together in a marriage , Many married people now share these decisions and the responsibilities of their families.
36. Which of the following is NOT true in the traditional marriage ?
A. Men worked at a job to earn money for the family .
B. The women made most of decisions.
C. The woman stayed at home to care the children.
D. The man paid the bills.
37. In recent years ________.
A. young couples (拒绝)the traditional relationship.
B. the woman has a job and earns the money for the family .
C. the woman doesn't stay at home and care for the children and the house.
D. the role of men and women has begun to change .
38. Men and women may now choose all the following except to _______.
A. marry or to stay single . B. work or stay at home .
C. leave their jobs just because they have children
D. have their roles that are comfortable for them
39. The following are all now true except __________.
A. they may choose to have children or not
B. the man may tack care of the children some of the time.
C. the woman is the most important person in the house
D. the woman may want to go to work
40. Which of the following is not true?
A. Everyone tries to get married.
B. The man was the boss in the traditional marriage.
C. The woman's job at home was very important in the past.
D. Many Americans still have a traditional marriage.