Section Ⅰ Use of English
Directions：Read the following text. Choose the best word (s) for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10 points)
Happy people work differently. They’re more productive, more creative, and willing to take greater risks. And new research suggest that happiness might influence___1___firms work, too.
Companies located in places with happier people invest more, according to a recent research paper.___2___, firms in happy places spend more on R&D ( research and development ). That’s because happiness is linked to the kind of longer-term thinking ___3___ for making investments for the future.
The researchers wanted to know if the ___4___ and inclination for risk-taking that come with happiness would ___5___the way companies invested. So they compared U.S. cities’ average happiness ___6___by Gallup polling with the investment activity of publicly traded firms in those areas.
___7___enough, firms’ investment and R&D intensity were correlated with the happiness of the area in which they were ___8___.But is it really happiness that’s linked to investment, or could something else about happier cities ___9___why firms there spend more on R&D? To find out, the researchers controlled for various ___10___that might make firms more likely to invest – like size, industry, and sales – and for indicators that a place was ___11___to live in, like growth in wages or population. The link between happiness and investment generally ___12___even after accounting for these things.
The correlation between happiness and investment was particularly strong for younger firms, which the authors ___13___to “less codified decision making process” and the possible presence of “younger and less ___14___managers who are more likely to be influenced by sentiment.” The relationship was ___15___stronger in places where happiness was spread more ___16___.Firms seem to invest more in places where most people are relatively happy, rather than in places with happiness inequality.
___17___this doesn’t prove that happiness causes firms to invest more or to take a longer-term view, the authors believe it at least ___18___at that possibility. It’s not hard to imagine that local culture and sentiment would help ___19___how executives think about the future. “It surely seems plausible that happy people would be more forward-thinking and creative and ___20___R&D more than the average,” said one researcher.
1. [A] why [B] where [C] how [D] when
2. [A] In return [B] In particular [C] In contrast [D] In conclusion
3. [A] sufficient [B] famous [C] perfect [D] necessary
4. [A] individualism [B] modernism [C] optimism [D] realism
5. [A] echo [B] miss [C] spoil [D] change
6. [A] imagined [B] measured [C] invented [D] assumed
7. [A] Sure [B] Odd [C] Unfortunate [D] Often
8. [A] advertised [B] divided [C] overtaxed [D] headquartered
9. [A] explain [B] overstate [C] summarize [D] emphasize
10. [A] stages [B] factors [C] levels [D] methods
11. [A] desirable [B] sociable [C] reputable [D] reliable
12. [A] resumed [B] held [C]emerged [D] broke
13. [A] attribute [B] assign [C] transfer [D]compare
14. [A] serious [B] civilized [C] ambitious [D]experienced
15. [A] thus [B] instead [C] also [D] never
16. [A] rapidly [B] regularly [C] directly [D] equally
17. [A] After [B] Until [C] While [D] Since
18. [A] arrives [B] jumps [C] hints [D] strikes
19. [A] shape [B] rediscover [C] simplify [D] share
20. [A] pray for [B] lean towards [C] give away [D] send out
参考答案：CBDCD BADAB ACADA DCCAB